- Thomaston High School Portfolio
Thomaston High School Portfolio
This portfolio is designed for students to demonstrate the achievement of the goals articulated in the Thomaston High School Mission Statement. Students will submit required evidence chosen from graded assignments (in any class) and/or documented activities that include an advisor’s approval.
Portfolio Requirements: Students will provide evidence from the following areas of the THS Mission Statement accompanied by a completed Summary Report Form. The evidence should reflect work that the student is proud to present.
Communicate effectively through speaking and writing
- Students will show evidence of an oral presentation with a rubric and a grade of 80 or above or alternative evidence as approved by the advisor (i.e. Rotary speeches, election speeches, etc.).
- Students will provide one piece of writing from each of the following types of essays with a rubric and a grade of 80 or above: Persuasive, Literary Analysis, and Creative Writing.
Use a variety of technological and informational resources to gather, synthesize, and present data
- Students will provide two pieces of evidence (i.e. slideshows, projects using graphing calculator/computer, video projects, technology projects, etc.) with a rubric and a grade of 80 or above or with documented approval from an adult advisor (i.e. extra-curricular oral history projects, Digital Media and Movie Making, projects completed through Education Connection, etc.).
Apply critical thinking skills to interpret and evaluate information and solve problems through rigorous and creative intellectual activities
- Students will provide evidence from one activity from any discipline that demonstrates critical thinking and problem solving skills with a rubric and a grade of 80 or above (i.e. math projects, science lab reports, Eagle Scout project, etc.).
- Students will provide evidence from one activity from any discipline that demonstrates collaborative working skills with a rubric and a grade of 80 or above (i.e. group projects).
Set challenging goals, perform reflective self-assessment, and utilize positive, appropriate outlets for self-expression
- Students will perform fifty hours of volunteer community service by the end of senior year (9th=5, 10th=10, 11th=15, 12th=20).
- Students will engage in at least two THS extracurricular activities each year (i.e. sports, clubs, scouts, religious activities, community activities, etc.)
- Students will provide evidence from one class or an activity that would include a goal setting and a reflective self-assessment rubric, signed by a supervising adult (i.e. teacher, coach, advisor, etc.).
-Portfolio program will be implemented as part of the advisory program
-Advisors will be instructed to guide students through portfolio activities twice per month
-Portfolio program will be rolled out one grade per year, with 9th graders beginning in the fall of 2016
- Student Portfolio Information
- Sample Portfolio
- ePortfolio Kickoff Presentation
- 9th Grade Portfolio Advisory Lesson Archive
- 10th Grade Portfolio Advisory Resource Guide